According to the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, Christmas tree (pine, fir, and hemlock or spruce trees) allergies are fairly uncommon. It’s more likely that your symptoms stem from the tiny mold spores, dust or pollen housed on the tree or from terpenes (chemical compounds) responsible for the wonderful fragrance.
Artificial Christmas trees, decorations and lights are stored from year to year in attics, basements, crawl spaces and garages. Unfortunately, these storage areas are prone to dust and mold. That being said, artificial trees may also trigger allergy symptoms such as coughing, wheezing, a runny or stuffy nose, itchy or watery eyes.
The holidays can be very stressful, however when you’re not feeling well they can feel downright overwhelming.
Try these Tips to Improve Allergy and Asthma Symptoms during the Holidays
- When purchasing a real Christmas tree, ask the seller if they can shake it to remove loose debris, and some of the dust and mold.
- Keep in mind that mold continues to multiply; consider this when determining how long you’ll keep a live tree in the house.
- Hose off both real and artificial trees (if not pre-lit) and allow them to dry thoroughly before bringing them indoors. Do this with any live greenery, wreaths, etc. you plan on hanging indoors.
- Soft surfaces are more prone to harbor dust and mold. Keep this in mind when purchasing holiday décor.
- Dust or wash (if possible) ornaments and knickknacks before decorating. In addition to removing the dust, they’ll sparkle more.
- Scented candles are all the rage. However, if someone in your home suffers from allergy or asthma symptoms, then skip them and try some of the pre-lit candles for ambience.
If you are unsure what’s causing your symptoms, it’s best to be examined by a healthcare professional. ENT and Allergy Specialists are experts in diagnosing Allergies, Sinusitis, Asthma and more. Schedule an appointment today!