Rates of smoking and vaping have increased during the Covid pandemic. Quitting either habit is challenging, but there are cessation methods, and we are here to help. While most adults are aware of the general benefits of stopping tobacco and nicotine use, few realize how quickly the body works to heal.
Benefits of Quitting
- Within minutes of quitting the heart rate drops
- Within twenty- four hours of quitting nicotine levels in the blood lower to zero
- Within one to twelve months of quitting coughing and shortness of breath decrease
- Within five to ten years of quitting the added risks of cancers of the mouth, throat and larynx drop by half.
These are only a few of the dramatic health benefits.
Did you know that smoking increases the risk of twelve types of cancer, not just that of the lung?
Quitting smoking is one of the most important actions you can take to reduce your risk of developing acute myeloid leukemia, bladder, lung, cervical, bladder and rectum, esophagus, kidney, liver, oral cavity and pharynx, pancreas, stomach, and laryngeal cancer.
The cardiovascular benefits of quitting smoking or vaping are many. The following are just some of the benefits to your heart and vascular system:
- Reduced risk for heart disease
- Reduced risk for stroke
- Reduced risk of abdominal aortic aneurysm and hypercoagulability
Quitting is a known challenge and whatever path brings you to a successful end goal of complete cessation is the right one. Our healthcare team can help you find out if pharmacologic interventions are right for you, in addition to the possible use of nicotine replacement aids or other interventions such as tobacco cessation support groups. Smoking cessation also benefits those around you, who may suffer health risks from secondhand smoke. Regardless of the quantity or years, or amount one has smoked or vaped, quitting is always a health benefit.
November is National Smoking Cessation month, and we urge you to take advantage of a healthcare provider who is skilled in smoking cessation, to make your desire to quit a reality. Schedule an appointment with us today!